Tuesday 29 April 2014

Book Review: The Monsters of Templeton


RATING:
3.75 cookies out of 5

What's it about?
This novel by Lauren Groff centres on a small, fictional town in New York State, and dabbles in fantasy, history, and relationships as our narrator Willie Upton returns home after a calamitous affair with one of her university professors. At her mother’s suggestion, she uses her archeological training to dig into her family’s past and their deep history within the town. 

Favourite Quote(s):
“Even still, we run. We have not reached our average of 57.92 years without knowing that you run through it, and it hurts and you run through it some more, and if it hurts worse, you run through it even more, and when you finish, you will have broken through. In the end, when you are done, and stretching, and your heartbeat slows, and your sweat dries, if you've run through the hard part, you will remember no pain.” 

“When I was small and easily wounded books were my carapace. If I were recalled to my hurts in the middle of a book they somehow mattered less. My corporeal life was slight the dazzling one in my head was what really mattered. Returning to books was coming home.” 

Who would enjoy it?
Anyone who likes stories with strong female characters, as The Monsters of Templeton is full of them. Also, anyone who enjoys a little mystery, violence, surprise, and eeriness in their novels. If you’re looking for inspiration or an emotional boost, this book has a very satisfying and hopeful conclusion that makes you feel like you could tackle just about anything.

What I liked:
I really loved the way The Monsters of Templeton gripped me with its words and wouldn’t let go. I was on the edge of my seat constantly, but yet forced to read slowly to fully appreciate the fine detail and description. I also quite enjoyed the fantasy tone this novel has. While still remaining in the real world, ghost and prehistoric monsters play a significant role, and they help add a compelling and mysterious level to the story. I also liked the fact that the book included different narrators, such as Willie’s ancestors, to tell their side of the story. While all the characters were entirely fictional, it was cool to jump back and forth between present day and different decades (or centuries)! From the beginning the book creates a mystery and builds throughout each chapter, so you are kept waiting and fact-collecting in anticipation of the ultimate reveal. Also, Lauren Groff is incredibly gifted at creating truly beautiful imagery. There were many times I found myself reading and re-reading a paragraph simply because I was so struck by it, or jotting down quotes from the pages.

What I didn’t like:
There wasn’t much I disliked about this novel. However! The dialogue was a bit choppy and unrealistic at first. (Case in point: Willie calling her mother by her name “Vi” repeatedly, including about 10 times on one page at the beginning of the novel. Who talks like that?) But, the author does find her groove and it becomes smoother after that.

I also didn’t enjoy the way characters on occasion felt a tad insincere. Lauren Groff was sometimes unwilling to let them go and move the story on their own; she put too much time into controlling the characters and including unnecessary details to have them seen by the reader the way that she desired. Case in point: the former high school football stud who is shown at the beginning to be a single father with a potbelly and a fondness for the local pub, becomes slim and attractive throughout the story, as though the author wanted us to like him but didn’t think we could if he was physically unappealing. Or the way that Willie enters the story with a breakdown-induced shaved head, but yet she wears it incredibly well and is complimented constantly. It’s almost a cop-out… the reality is that as an author you want to ultimately sell us on a character’s personality, not their looks, to avoid your novel being shallow, and this was something Groff struggled with.

Overall:
Definitely one of my new favourites. Flaws in execution didn't stop The Monsters of Templeton from making its way permanently onto my bookshelf and into my heart. 



No comments:

Post a Comment